Thursday, February 10, 2011

NightShade by Andrea Cremer

Title: Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel Books (Penguin YA)
Release date: October 19, 2010
Rating: 4/5
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?


Review:

Exciting.Adventurous.Romance.Loyalty.Trust.Witty.and about all Destiny!What do these words have in common with, one word NightShade. Nightshade is a spectacular 2010 debut, and I just want to kick myself for putting it off so long, just letting it sit on my bookshelf collecting dust. Everything about this book, I absolutely loved. Most people at the first reading of the summary they put it down because they expect it to be just another werewolve story when really it offers more than just werewolves. It offers, Icubus's, Shadows, Wraiths, and so much more.

The plot was well done, evern though on the maybe last 150-100 pages it became a little predictable but it was a little less than predictable since it gave a lot of hints here and there what's going to happen, but besides that it's predictablility is pretty low so you still had your oh my gosh! moments and etc. The characters, I absolutely loved especially Ren. *coughs* yes I am Team Ren haha I was Team Shay but at the end of the book my heart reached out to Ren the most. you could tell in a lot of chapter he's absolutely in love with Calla and would do anything for her. Yea, he may have his moments when he's a total jerk, but sometimes he means well. Andrea Cremer's characters are funny, witty, a blast to be around, caring, loyal, and will always have your back, but the thing is I wanted more from her other characters, I mean yes the book has it's main characters, but I kind of felt like I didn't know the rest of the characters well like I knew Calla, Ren, and Shay. That's why I gave it a 4/5 because I felt like it needed more info on the other characters since they are kind of part of the main characters as well since they always travel in a pack.

Again I loved the variety of paranormal creatures in this book. Guardians,werewolves,wraiths,icubus's, and so much more. Nightshade is an awesome read and everyone should read it even though some parts a lot of people,females in general, didn't like it because it has a lot of sexism in it. Where the girl is being the typical girl. She's in the kitchen, popping out babies, always under the male, and the list continues. The guy is the head, he can do what he wants when he wants, he can whore around, but the female can't and again the list continues. I must say I didn't like it much, even though I'm not much of a feminist I should say, but I do believe the females in the book should stand up to the keepers and any other male who thinks they have authority over them. When really if you say your in a pack together and your both alphas and running things, then you both should be equal with everything from being in command to everything else. So if you don't like sexism..I suggest don't read it, because it's basically throughout the whole book.Even though you have to look at it this way, it's a werewolf book. The female from what I've read in other books are never the commander in chief and etc. She is second in line, whether or not the guy she's working with has the same title, the female is always second. Either way from the highs and lows of this book, I absolutely loved Nightshade even though it kind of reminded me about a lot of books with the same theme, but with different paranormal creatures.

Quotes:

"Ren watched us as he leaned casually against the table, holding a pair of scissors. I'd never seen a classroom tool look so dangerous."
— Andrea Cremer (Nightshade)

"I'll help you with whatever's made you upset," he said. "But this morning you blew me off and I'm not going to kiss you today just so you can tell me to go to hell tomorrow."
-Shay"
— Andrea Cremer (Nightshade)

"I didn't realize I needed to point out that if we are attacked by a fire-breathing bitch, you can change forms."
— Andrea Cremer (Nightshade)

"This isn't about love, it's about survival" "No Calla" His voice became hushed "This is only about love"-Andrea Cremer (NightShade) (my favorite line)

"Ansel, I'm not the sun, stop orbiting and get in here."
— Andrea Cremer (Nightshade)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the follow, I'm now following you. I've avoided this book because I wasn't sure I wanted to read another book with a love triangle, but your review has me reconsidering giving this book a shot. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review Bella! I just bought this one the other day and I can't wait to crack it open!


    Preternatural Primer

    ReplyDelete