Thursday, February 24, 2011

Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Title: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin)
Release Date: January 11, 2011
Rating: 4/5

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.



Review:

Don't be a chutz, just buy and read the frexing book!! Beth Revis is a genius mastermind who I think is probably secretly trying to invent a way to slowly take over our minds and blow it up with her epicness,like Eldest does in her novel,but with with good intentions. As most of you know I rarely read science fiction genre, so when I first heard about it I was interested in it, but I wasn't fully committed to it. I was like oh, ok, love the cover and sounds nice.But when there was so much hype about this book, I was like ugh!, it's probably just another sci-fi book with it's galaxy far far away crap, when really its not....okay it kind of is depending how you look at it (read it and you'll know what i'm talking about). This book deffinitely hit my favorite book list of this year. I just couldn't put it down, even though the begginning like most books have was a little slow, I still couldn't put it down.
I really don't know how to start with this review...besides saying this book was completly well thought out and everything fit just like a jigsaw puzzle. The characters I loved, particularly the two main characters Elder and Amy. I felt both of their pain, loss, and understanding and misunderstanding when it came to certain topics and events that happened on the ship. The plot and dialogue was just simply amazing. Some questions or statements that Amy,Elder, and even the bad guy Eldest said, made me stop and think about the stars and hopes and longing. If you were stuck on a spaceship for years or maybe centuries, and the only thing that kept your hopes up for landing on another planet were your children or someday seeing the stars. The real stars and not just fake ones they used/lied about to keep the hope alive and chaos from happening on board. How can something that everyone in real life see everyday give these fictional characters so much hopes and dreams, from just wanting to see the stars. Is it weird that right now I'm thinking about Disney and how they always tell you to wish upon a star, and talk about dreams, and wish's?
There were a lot of twist and turns, mysteries, and suspicions. One minute you think you know something and the next your like how is that possible?When did that happen? Everything just grabs your attention. This review really doesn't give the book any justice what so ever. I can't stop gushing about it. The only disappointment I had with the book was there not being a cliff hanger at the end. I was so hoping for one. I loved how it ended, bit I was just hyped for a cliff hanger. Besides everything else, I loved Across the Universe!!

7 comments:

  1. GAHHHH!!! I LOVED this book too. I had the same reservations as you where it was like ehhhh its a sci-fi and all hyped I'll bet it will only be okay. BUT IT BLEW ME AWAY. Although I have to say that I was glad there wasn't a cliff hanger at the end. Or else I would have been dying for the sequel twice as much as I already am! Haha. I don't have good skills when it comes to patience. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!! YAY, to it not being sucky!! I have so-so patience skills haha. I can't wait for the next book. I wonder what it's called.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Belllamay, just stopping by on the follow and hop. Come see my fav show!
    Have a terrific weekend!!!
    See ya!
    Dana
    Readaholics Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved this book too! i dont read science fiction that much either, but reading this book made me want to try some more books like it out. i actually met beth revis at the breathless reads tour in utah and she was so funny and cool! thanks for the review!
    -danna
    ps new follower cant wait to see future reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm super excited to read it! Glad you liked it.

    P.S. If you're interested, you won an award on my blog.
    http://tantalizingillusions.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award-and-7-facts.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shared an award with you over at BNR!

    www.blacknailedreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting review and beautiful blog. Just hopping by! http://sharonhenning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete